That's Funny!

Disclaimer: Author can not guarantee that all post on this blog will be funny or make you laugh.

Monday, August 21, 2006

Shoeless Ashley, the Foot Fashion Slave


I know what you're thinking; Who in their right mind would actually post a picture of their feet on their own blog? I took this picture when I was in Washington, DC last week after I had pretty much walked throughout the entire city barefoot. For those of you familiar with the lay-out of the sightseeing tour, I started at the White House and by the time I got to the Washington Memorial (the first stop of the monuments), my shoes were already off. The reason: I had lunch beforehand with a friend I hadn't seen in about four years, so I wore my "cute" shoes. Apparently, I dismissed the fact that following lunch I would be walking around to tour the city.

But Ashley, why oh why, didn't you wear better shoes for walking? Because. Because I am a slave to fashion. Because, yes, I am one of those girls who likes her cute shoes and would much rather get blisters all over her feet than be seen in tennis shoes for a lunch date. Because I forgot to bring my walking shoes to change into after lunch, okay? Because my mom always told me that I should be a foot model (based purely off the fact that my feet are size 6 and hers 8 1/2). Because if someone thinks my feet are worthy of modeling, I'm going to show them off and let them be cute! This might also be why I currently have 53 pairs of shoes in my closet. And why the second toe on my right foot dons the longest running piece of jewelry I've ever worn without removing: a 24-carat gold fitted toe ring. Because look at these shoes and tell me they're not adorable!
The irony about that day was that I couldn't bring myself to stand barefoot in front of the memorials. It felt slightly disrespectful to stand in front of almighty Mr. Lincoln sans shoes. So, I spent the afternoon taking my shoes on and off between monuments. Something put it in perspective for me when I walked along the Vietnam wall reading the names of all the men who shed blood for our country, yet I was unwilling to shed blood from the already formed blisters on my feet. I just hope President Lincoln appreciated the fact that my white thong wedge sandals coordinated so nicely with the white v-strap on my shirt that wrapped around my neck. That didn't happen by accident!

Please note: I did spot a CVS Pharmacy mid-touring, where I stopped to buy some $4 flip flops (which by the way, were cute AND comfortable)!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow---an unbeatable combination: a foot model who can be funny too! Yes, I appreciate the "V" repeated in top and shoes.

For the record, I, too, once spent much of a day in D.C. wearing just pantihose on my feet and carrying my pumps because my feet hurt so badly. It is, unfortunately, the most vivid memory I have of that trip. Now that my feet have irreversible damage (probably caused from wearing "cute" rather than sensible shoes in my youth, I am only slightly wiser. Cute shoes make you feel good all over.

August 21, 2006 10:29 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

53 pairs of shoes? Pretty soon, you are going to be in Ra'Shede territory. I'm impressed.

August 21, 2006 11:23 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

I go barefoot all the time. Your brother looks down his nose at me for this and tells me that I'm no better than Britney Spears.

We're "country," what can I say.

August 22, 2006 8:57 AM  
Blogger Allee said...

Lincoln would be proud.

Roo would love to play with your shoe collection - of course - when she is older and won't break any of them or scratch your floor - or any of the other things that bug you!

August 23, 2006 9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wouldn't the bottoms of your feet get all black from walking around barefoot in the city? And wouldn't people give you strange looks?

August 25, 2006 10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home