That's Funny!

Disclaimer: Author can not guarantee that all post on this blog will be funny or make you laugh.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

The Jerk 101


I went to a BBQ at my friend's boyfriend, Gabe's, new house. As I was getting a tour of the home, I noticed a DVD of The Jerk lying on the floor by itself. Those who know me, know this has been my favorite movie since I was about 8. To this day, if someone asks me my favorite movie, I still say The Jerk. It's my staple.

There are few people I've come across who actually own this movie on DVD, so of course I flipped-out and told them how this is my all-time favorite! Gabe responded by telling me he wrote a paper about The Jerk in college. Apparently, he took some Culture and Society class in college where they studied the movie The Jerk and the TV show The Simpsons for an entire semester!

Here's the kicker: Later in the evening, I inquired as to where Gabe went to college that he could take such an awesome class. "University of Iowa," he said. What?! Needless to say, I was extremely disappoined to learn that I went through 4 years as a Journalism major (with a minor in Sociology) at Iowa and somehow missed the class where my final would have been to write about Navin Johnson's run through the societal classes...from rags to riches. It would've been the easiest 'A' I've ever had! (Of course, I would have been the really annoying girl in class reciting lines from the movie the whole sememster).

And to think...I just like the movie because I think it is funny! Who knew it was intellectual?

5 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

I totally would have found this class. Of course, I also took a class entitled "TV: A Critical Approach" (writing my final on "The Evolution of the Sitcom").

July 15, 2006 3:25 PM  
Blogger Allee said...

Really - I don't think you should be bragging about your alma mater offering a class based on "The Jerk." Although it would have been nice to add another A to you report card.

July 16, 2006 11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most people don't appreciate The Jerk for what it REALLY was. The highpoint of Bernadette Peter's movie career.Maybe Steve Martin's, too.

July 17, 2006 11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In college I took a class called "Women in Mathematics" to fulfill my math requirement...we read short bios on women mathematicians and then played math games that these women had invented. Also, you could skip the final if you made a quilt. I took my chances with the test.

July 20, 2006 1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»

August 09, 2006 11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home