That's Funny!

Disclaimer: Author can not guarantee that all post on this blog will be funny or make you laugh.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

It's a Minuscule World

  • Is it just me, or do other people find themselves saying, "wow, it's a small world" ALL THE TIME? I think I find reason to utter this phrase at least twice a week...and that's without even trying to find a reason. It seems like every one is connected somehow. It sometimes feels like I can find some random connection to every person I meet, which makes me wonder if the world was ever really that big to begin with. Here are a few examples I've had of this:
  • I joined a book club last winter with about 15 women (only two of whom I knew previously). All in a matter of two hours at our first meeting, I had determined that one woman's husband(who just moved here from Oregon) is the cousin of my best friend from pre-school. I find out that another girl drives the exact same car as me, only after I find out that she actually lives in my same condo building. There have been numerous times that I have confused the other black Saab 9-3 with my own and actually tried to get in it a couple of times.
  • A few weeks ago, over dinner, I find out that my date's family owns a bowling alley in Iowa. Growing up in a bowling alley myself, I've never met anyone else who actually had the job of spraying bowling shoes with Lysol or got the keys to the candy machine because his parents owned the place. I mention this weird coincidence to my best friend, who informs me that her husband, in fact, bowled at this SAME 8 lane bowling alley in rural Iowa for seven years before they moved to Minneapolis! "Yeah, he got to know the owner so well, we almost invited him and his wife to our wedding!" she tells me. Small world. I then go to a party with this date to his good friends' condo downtown (expecting to know no one). As it turns out, I was practically greeted at the door like Cheers greets Norm. "Ashley!" A guy who I knew when I was about 16 gives me a hug, hands me a beer, and introduces me to his fiance, who I played softball with and took dance classes with when I was younger. I then look at my beer mug engraved with two last names and quickly realize that the couple throwing the party (who I hadn't even been introduced to yet) were Skipper sweethearts who graduated a year ahead of me. Small world.
  • I met a woman at a networking event in Plymouth a month or so ago. After speaking with her for a few minutes, we discover she lives in the building across the street from me and realize our balonies actually face one another. I find out what company she works for...a large company with many offices in the Twin Cities. I throw out the name of THE ONLY person I know who works for this company. "Yeah, he's my best friend! We are going salsa dancing together tonight."
  • A few months ago, I developed a small (very small) crush on a guy who I had met once. I made the mistake of telling this to my mom and an even bigger mistake by telling her his name. (What was I thinking?) I proceed to get an email from my mom a week later while she is in London telling me that some woman who she is traveling with knows this guy's family. Apparently, her son went to college with him. Small world? Or maybe just a fine example of my mom talking about my business too much. How was that connection made anyway?
  • When I was in college at University of Iowa, I remember going to visit someone in Grand Forks, ND for a weekend. While I was there, I was introduced to some guy originally from Illinois. "I know someone who goes to University of Iowa. I dated her in high school," he tells me. Okay, well it's a school of 28,000 student, I think to myself, so I doubt I know who she is. Go ahead pal, give it a shot. He tells me her name and my jaw drops. "Yeah, I know her. She's only my ROOMMATE!" Small world.
  • One semester in college, I lived with 3 very good friends of mine. All of them were from Illinois, but in different parts of the state. After winter break, one of them came back to school with a videotape of a dance camp she had been to when she was about 15. We couldn't figure out why she was making us watch some video of a group of girls doing an unorganized dance without costumes. She paused the tape when it came to one part of the dance and pointed out the girl next to her. There, LINKED arms next to her in a kickline is our other roommate. Apparently they had crossed paths (or in this case, arms) before at a summer camp they both attended. Neither one would have remembered this if there weren't physical proof of their encounter.
  • Five years ago, while in Campina Grande, Brazil, visiting an old exchange student my family had, I meet an American who is there as an exchange student. She is staying with the neighbors of the family I am there visiting. "You're from America! What state?" I ask her, excited to be speaking English with a fellow American.

    "Minnesota!" she says.

    "No way! What city?"

    "Oh, I'm from a town southwest of Minneapolis called Chaska," she tells me.

    Unbelievable. Small world. Literally in this case. I was in Brazil!

I seriously could go on and on with examples like these. Do you have them too? Think of how many other "small world" connections we can probably make if we just have these conversations with every single person we meet. Some you might have to dig deeper than others, but there's gotta be something there. Screw Kevin Bacon, I think there has got to be six degrees of seperation from just about every one in the world. Okay, at least in Minneapolis.

9 Comments:

Blogger Mamadala said...

You're going to be like dad, who can't go anywhere without meeting someone he knows - usually from the bowling alley.

I haven't found that many connections, but I'm not as social as you are. And maybe I don't care enough to try to find the connections. :-)

May 31, 2006 8:51 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

I had a sister who dated this guy one time and brought him to meet our family and, as it turns out, I went to Sunday School with the guy. How freaky is that?

May 31, 2006 9:16 AM  
Blogger Allee said...

I agree - but I also think that you have to be willing to meet, talk, and ask lots of questions in order to find out what a small world it really is. Some might think I am nosy when I ask questions, but I just think it is human interest.

Best small world story. Last year my dad told me that the only other person he knew named J.... (Big J, my husband) was a little kid in the nursery at the bowling alley. Turns out, it was Big J. We actually met in the nursery when we were little!

May 31, 2006 1:54 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

That is pretty freaky, Eric. I forgot to mention my other weird "small story" recently of you coming through in digging up some dirt for me on my date. :)

May 31, 2006 4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's one for you... I just went on a date or two with this guy that I met in a random bar that I never go to in the middle of one of the biggest cities in the U.S. Turns out he went to Iowa, which as we know, so did I. So we start playing the name game and turns out that not only do we know a ton of the same people, but I actually dated his roommate from senior year! (See comment to Laura's latest Blog... smart, good-looking, white boy from tthe suburbs - you know, the one that I was "never home" for). Small world!

May 31, 2006 4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In London, I was looking through my friend's photos of his girlfriend when I came across a photo of her hugging my best friend from 4th grade, who now also lives in NYC.

In Italy, after my dad drove our car off a cliff, we walked to the closest house, where the people were not only English-speakers, but were American....and Minnesotan.

So yeah, it's a small world. But you dated a dude who went to Sunday school with your BROTHER? Come on!

May 31, 2006 4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait for Dad to chime in on this one! I agree that you have to be interested enough in people to find some of these connections. However, our Italy encounter was extremely freaky. Dad will tell you.
Nora, what do you mean brushing off the best part of your story "drove our car off a cliff?"

May 31, 2006 5:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

O.K. Here's one of my best ones. We are invited by some friends to go to Italy and stay for two weeks in Benito Mussilini's (Hitler's buddy and fellow dictator in the 1920's, 30's and 40's) hunting lodge in Gambasi Termi, Italy. The lodge has four bedrooms and our friends had rented the whole house for a month and then were sub-leasing the rooms to their friends. On the second or third day several of us decided to take a walk around the grounds which include a very large wooded area. While walking through the woods we came to a bend in the path and noticed a small cottage on a hill about two hundred feet away. Two people were sitting in rocking chairs on the front porch of the cottage. As we passed by we heard a voice yelling "Hey, is that the guy from the Aqua Bowl?" Sure enough, they used to bowl in the Thursday night mixed doubles league. In the woods on the grounds of Mussilini's hunting lodge in Gambasi Termi, Italy.

June 01, 2006 10:39 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Pictures can tell a lot too. I also recently found some pictures from when I went to Prom sophomore year. There was a group of about 10 of us that took pictures and I came across one of me with just two other girls. Immediately, I recognized one of them as I girl who currently works in my office. She went to a different high school, but I had remembered her as being the girlfriend of one of the guys who I went to school with. I had met her one night nearly 10 years ago, but have been working with her for the past 2 years! We never realized we had actually met before!

June 01, 2006 11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home