That's Funny!

Disclaimer: Author can not guarantee that all post on this blog will be funny or make you laugh.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

People Watching...or Watched by People

One of my favorite things about living by Lake Calhoun is the people watching. Being out there on a daily basis, I think I've seen all creative forms of exercise there are. There's the typical dad running with the three-wheeled stroller, the couple holding hands on a walk, the lady walking her miniature puppy, the man carrying his dog while he rollerblades, the shirtless men's volleyball league ........................................................ Oh, sorry. What was I saying?

Today alone, I saw a 280 lb. black man in an orange sweatsuit power-walking. And I'm talking about in the way a woman would do it...complete with full armswings. I also saw a woman in a business suit on rollerblades as if she had just gotten of work and swapped her pumps for her blades. Then I saw a man sitting in a contorted position in the grass...meditating...oblivious to anyone around him.

Then there are the regulars...the older mafia-looking gentleman with the big belly who walks around with a wife beater on always looking like he's out of breath. I haven't seen him since last fall. He must've decided to let it his hair go gray over the winter since it was brown last I saw him. There's a couple that I always see hanging out by a tree with their great dane, which still freaks me out every time I see it. It looks like a horse! Marathon man runs everyday and usually laps me a couple of times and we wave when we see each other now.

It kind of hit me today as I was rollerblading, that as much as I enjoy people watching and chuckling at these crazy people, that "people watching" really is a two-way street (or in this case, sidewalk). I'm just as much a victim of being watched as anyone else. This came to me today in particular as I was rollerblading, listening to my tunes, and singing...yes, singing. Not just humming along, but full out singing to Gavin DeGraw's, Chariot, while on rollerblades. It's such a feel good song, I was singing loudly, not really realizing how loud I really was. As I became aware of smirks on the faces of people I passed, I recalled other times I have been "watched by people."

Like the time I found myself recalling something funny and laughing out loud to myself (read my bio if this confuses you), while I was walking by myself. People who know me, know this is normal for me, but when I subject my Calhoun colleagues to these outbursts, they might think I have some screws loose. And I know people have caught me in this behavior because I have seen them look at me and chuckle. Then I get embarrassed and laugh more. Oh, well. I've always thought of my walks and rollerblades around the lake to be "Ashley time", but sometimes I forget people are watching.

3 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

I don't know about Lake Calhoun, but I totally know the feeling of being watched all the time. People are always watching me. And not just any people, but I know it's the freakin' CIA and the FBI and probably even other, more-secretive, government agencies. And they send radio waves at me, too, just to mess with my head. What did I ever do to them, man?

April 27, 2006 12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Want some good people watching? Two words: STATE FAIR

April 27, 2006 6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, not the State Fair, MM; it is too depressing to think this represents Minnesota!

Ash, I like the lady in the suit on roller blades---now that's what I call courage.

April 27, 2006 10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home