That's Funny!

Disclaimer: Author can not guarantee that all post on this blog will be funny or make you laugh.

Monday, May 08, 2006

A Goose to my Maverick


The best part about being single is having a girlfriend who can do spontaneous things with you. Or who is always up for going with you to meet a cute boy and his friends, or go out with, or talk with you as you obsess about things like, "Do you think he'll call?" "Should I call him?" A friend of mine coined this term best about a year ago when I was supposed to go meet someone and his friends and was feeling a bit intimidated going by myself. So my single-at-the-time friend, said, "I'll be your wingman and go with you." Awesome! A wingman! My partner in crime. Soon after, I become "not single". Now, I am single, and she is "coupled", so I had to find myself a new wingman. And who better than my old college roommate, Laura. Aka. Goose

It was about six or seven years ago that Goose and I would go out together in college. We'd always introduce ourselves as Sky (me) and Veronica (her). We'd run home from downtown Iowa City at 2am, picking up stick in the yard signs and go hang out on the porch swing of random people's houses. So, I want to give a shout out to my wingman for participating in what felt like a college relapse weekend. Thanks for taking some of the weight off of my sisters' shoulders, who are probably starting to dread see me sign into Instant Messenger because they know I am going to say something like, "Want to talk about boys?" Thanks for being game for going to a "kegger" with me and thanks for spontaneously driving to the horse races with me to meet our new friends. Thanks for being my Goose. Or, you can be Maverick if you want. Either one.

6 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

Don't you also need someone to be your Iceman? What good is a wingman if you don't have an arch-rival? And how come you never text me and ask to talk about boys? Or invite me to keggers, for that matter? This needs to change.

May 09, 2006 4:21 PM  
Blogger Allee said...

Actually, Eric, we try to refer her to you when we have secret sister meetings and can't give her the 'boy' perspective.

Ash - we never tire of your IM's. We just can't enjoy the 'single' nights out with you. Thanks Laura for picking up that slack for us!

May 09, 2006 8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute analogy. Everyone needs a goose.

May 09, 2006 11:02 PM  
Blogger Mamadala said...

No, I don't tire of your IM's. It keeps me young. :P And I did save the funniest chat session ever, when I was laughing so hard I was crying and my father-in-law thought I had gone off the deep end. You can't get that kind of entertainment outside of secret sister meetings! Of course, it's probably one of those "you had to be there" kind of things, and won't seem nearly as funny when I read it again.

May 09, 2006 11:15 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Ah friendship. Even if you never find your Katie Holmes it's good to have a good drinking buddy.

May 10, 2006 8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Talked to The-Goose-to-Your-Maverick today. You two are a good match. Maybe find the male version of her. :)

May 15, 2006 3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home