That's Funny!

Disclaimer: Author can not guarantee that all post on this blog will be funny or make you laugh.

Thursday, July 06, 2006

The Unlisted Realtor

I'm going on my fourth year of being a Realtor and have managed to pretty much do absolutely NO marketing. Unlike your typical Realtor, I don't have my picture on my card, I don't send out mailings, I don't have a bus bench or a billboard, and I don't have my own website. While, I've been doing just fine so far, I've recently taken a couple of steps to kick up my marketing plan a notch.

Step#1: I ordered name riders to hang up on my listings with my name and number on them instead of the generic ones. I have been keeping the extras on the floor in the backseat of my car so they are accessible when I need to put one up. Here is how the first step of my marketing plan has already gone awry:

Last weekend I met some friends out in uptown. At the end of the night, after nursing one beer, I found myself among some drunken friends and friends of friends who needed rides homes. So, I ended up with my friend's friend and my friend's new boyfriend's friend (follow me?) who needed rides home (and wanted to get dropped off at the same place). I didn't ask questions, I just wanted to get them somewhere safe and she happened to live only a couple blocks from me. Girl gets in the front seat of my car and Guy gets in the backseat. I'm not going to mention any names, but I will tell you that Guy is a new Vikings player. So, I've got a hoochy girl in my passenger seat and a big, black drunk man in my back seat.

"What's this sign fo'? You a Realtor?" Guy asks holding up my name rider with my name and cell phone plastered all over it.

"How'd you guess?" I say.

"Well, I figured it was either that...or you used this to pick up guys."

"Yeah!" I laugh out loud. "I stick it in my window when I am driving around!" I say sarcastically.
He laughs.

I safely drop them off at Girl's place in uptown. "Bye, kids! Have fun!"

On my way home, now 2am and driving through uptown alone, I am at a stoplight and hear a honk from the car next to me. I look over to see some guy waving. I roll my eyes...guys are relentless at 2am! Seriously, what does he think I am going to do right now? What girl would wave and smile at some freak trying to pick her up at a stoplight at 2am? Hmmmmm....well, maybe a girl who had her name and phone number propped up in the backseat of her car--that's just an invitation for a honk and a wave! Yeah, it wasn't until I got home and out of my car that I noticed that Guy, who I so nicely had given a ride home, thought it would be funny to put my name rider UP IN THE WINDOW OF MY BACKSEAT! Fortunately, I didn't get any freaky calls that night.

Step #2: I got my "Realtor picture" taken.

I have always been very anti-realtor picture. They've always seemed so cheesy to me and I never understood the importance. But I was finally convinced it's good to put a face with a name in this business. I'm not ready yet for the picture on the business card or the bus bench, so this is my first attempt at using my picture, since I don't know what else I am going to use if for right now. So, here it is...Ashley, Realtor.


And trust me, I had a hard time deciding on a picture. I immediately ruled out the ones with my head tilted about 45 degrees to the side.

There is something about coupling my picture along with my cell phone number and plastering it around town that is making me think twice. Hey, marketing gurus out there, I'm looking for some advice on how I can use my new tools to solicit business. Not dates, but business. How can I tastefully and professionally send out my name, picture, and phone number around uptown and say "call me...if you want to buy a house"?

Tag line ideas? Catch phrases? Memorable marketing products? Roll 'em in...

9 Comments:

Blogger Mamadala said...

Why differentiate? Maximize your marketing dollar and go for both dates and business at the same time. Who needs eharmony.com anyway?

July 06, 2006 10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never once got asked out because someone had my photo and phone number. Ah, the problems of the young and good-looking!

July 06, 2006 9:31 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Why not put a picture of some random ugly person on your card? No one wants a good-looking realtor - you can't trust 'em. Also, don't use your real name - that will prevent men from calling looking for dates. So, if you add it all up - someone else's picture, someone else's name - I'm thinking you could just steal someone else's business cards and go with those. The only thing is that you might want to use your real phone number. Otherwise, what would be the point?

July 06, 2006 10:50 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

So glad you don't do the cheesy billboards or busstops. Just tonight Eric and I drove by the intersection of Hennepin & Franklin and simulateously cringed at the realtor's billboard that read "Thinking of moving? Take two asprin and call me in the morning." Like he couldn't figure out a better slogan to spend all that marketing money on???

July 06, 2006 11:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ash...why haven't you talked to me?

As you know I've been using the slogan "Bob the Stealth Realtor" and it's been great in that it accomplishes everything I intend. Here are some ideas:

"House about buying a house from Ashley?"

"Ashley is "Home, home on the range" or anywhere there is a house. (with a picture of you bull-dogging a heifer)

or my favorite

"Don't go... I don't have your e-maiL address yet."

July 09, 2006 9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

August 05, 2006 5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

August 09, 2006 7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»

August 11, 2006 3:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»

August 16, 2006 10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home