That's Funny!

Disclaimer: Author can not guarantee that all post on this blog will be funny or make you laugh.

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Text Messaging Abuse in Dating

Back by popular demand...(and with a few edits).
___________________________________

I have a love/hate relationship with text messaging. At times I think it is the best thing ever. Like when I want to send a quick informative message to someone who isn't able to answer their phone at the time, or reversely, get a message from someone who can't call me at the time. It can also be fun for some flirtatious back and forth banter. But with this texting craze, I think it's necessary to set some boundaries for the guys out there who are abusing text messaging when trying to communicate with women. Here are three tips:

1. Grow some balls and CALL if you want to ask her out. Do NOT...I repeat, do NOT ask her out via text message for a first date. No girl is impressed by reading "what r u doing sat night?" on her cell phone. Be a gentleman and do it the old fashioned way.

2. If it is 8pm on a weekday and you are both capable of carrying on a verbal conversation at the time, do not send her a passive "I'm too scared to call you" text message and expect to have a decent conversation that way. If you text something like, "how was ur day?", don't expect much of a response. If you don't want to call, send her an email so that she can respond on a fullsize keyboard, without having to use 17 keystrokes just to type "good."

3. Do NOT use text messaging as a medium for communicating serious emotions for the first time to a woman. Not matter what you need to say, be a man and tell her verbally so she isn't stuck trying to interpret the tone used in your text. Enough said.

Just had to get that out there. And since I don't really know who comes across my blog, enjoy this post while you can because it may get deleted once I start getting "hate texts" from the subjects who provided material for this post.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

Ha! In high school I dated a guy who would always play video games while we were busy having "important" conversations on the phone. Much like you now, I just never felt that he was properly emotionally invested in the conversation during these calls.

Course nowadays I would think it quite romantic if Eric would text me saying "how was ur day?"

July 21, 2006 7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Y r u pickn on men? wmen do it 2.

July 21, 2006 7:55 PM  
Blogger Mamadala said...

Having recently exchanged a few text messages with Ashley, I cannot imagine why anyone would want to communicate with her that way - she's mean!

July 21, 2006 10:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch! But you are so right--it is just too easy to pretend you are communicating when all you are doing is connecting.

Do you think people with "smart phones" with keyboards find this satisfying?

Personally, I think it is really annoying when shortcuts are used like this. Even when I know otherwise, I think "stupid."

July 21, 2006 11:44 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Thank you, mhaha textman. You're right, women do it too. I'm probably guilty too of the passive attempt at communication.

Some cute back and forth banter is all right, but there's go to be a line somewhere.

Laura, don't leave out that fact that pet death was communicated the night of your b-day celebration!

July 22, 2006 12:12 PM  
Blogger Allee said...

I have received one text message - ever - from you. I got it during a dinner at some friend's house (without kids). I interupted dinner and was jumping up and down announcing that I got my first test message - I am sure I looked like a loser and I am sure I was being very rude!

I also would think it cool and romantic if my husband text me during the day. . .

July 24, 2006 3:11 PM  
Blogger Sloanasaurus said...

Hmmm....I wonder what it was like when the telephone was first invented.

There was probably a woman somewhere ranting about a prospective suitor.... "I wish he would stick to the old fashion method of asking my father first if he could see me rather than calling me out of the blue on this thing called the telephone and expecting me to respond to his questions. How rude!"

Of course I agree with everyone regarding text messaging...to a point.

August 01, 2006 12:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»

August 11, 2006 4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home