That's Funny!

Disclaimer: Author can not guarantee that all post on this blog will be funny or make you laugh.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Eclectic Mixes


I think one of the most common questions asked in conversation is, "what kind of music do you like?" Usually, I get asked this when I am in a car with someone (friend, co-worker, client, date, whatever) and they are fiddling with their pre-sets or CDs. Every body asks this question and I never know how to adequately answer it. This is probably true for many people. With ALL of the music out there, how can anyone really sum up their music tastes?

I like a lot of music, but have decided that my taste is best described in terms of "songs" rather than "artists." I usually use the word "eclectic" to describe my music selection, which is probably true. I like a little bit of everything...little pop, little country, little rap, little classic rock. I'm notorious for having mix CDs which encompass every genre of music. Ride in my car for an hour and you'll never have so many mood changes in your life! If I were to categorize the music currently in my ipod in terms of what kind of mood each song puts me in, it would go something like this...

Songs I like to work out to:
Let's Get it Started---Black Eyed Peas
Gold Digger---Kanye West
Changes--Tupoc
Anything Michael Jackson
Anything Prince

Songs that make me want to play an instrument:
Landed--- Ben Folds Five (piano)
Don't Stop Believin'---Journey (piano in beginning and then guitar)
Midnight Blue---Lou Gramm (air guitar)
Fool in the Rain--Led Zeppelin (drums)
Don't Fear the Reaper---Blue Oyster Cult (cowbell)

Songs that make me want to dance around my living room:
Thriller---Michael Jackson (really, all Michael songs make me bust a move)
Knock on Wood---Amii Stewart
Jump---Pointer Sisters
Footloose--- Kenny Loggins (go ahead, laugh)

Songs that make me want to slow dance:
Your Song---Elton John
By Your Side---Sade
Waiting in Vain---Annie Lennox

Songs that make me want to belt out singing in the car:
Wide Open Spaces---Dixie Chicks
To Zion---Lauryn Hill
I Will---Alison Krauss

Songs that make me want to sing a duet:
Come What May---Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman
The Prayer---Celine Dion and Andrea Bocelli
Cruisin'---Huey Lewis and Gwenyth Paltrow

Songs I like to chill to:
Walk on the Ocean---Toad the Wet Sprocket
In a Little While---U2
All at Sea---Jamie Cullum

Songs that can bring a tear to my eye:
The Things We've Handed Down---Marc Cohn
I'm Already There---Lonestar
The Broken Road---Rascal Flats

Songs that bring a smile to my face:
Where You Are---Marc Broussard
Chariot---Gavin DeGraw
Raspberry Beret--- Prince (okay, all Prince songs make me feel good)
Sunday Morning--- Maroon 5

There you have it. Obviously hard to capture them all, but good to lay it out there. Next time someone asks what kind of music I like, this is the answer they are going to get.

8 Comments:

Blogger Matthew Bamberg said...

Cool list. Like it. I've read that's the way to get people to read your blog--make lists.

July 26, 2006 9:28 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

I LOVE "Waiting in Vain." Except I always mistakenly think that it is Sade singing it and say stupid things like "Oh, here's that cool Sade song that Bob Marley covered." Now I know the truth but I still like to say that just to annoy Eric.

July 26, 2006 10:51 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

I like the list. It sort of reminds me of something I might put together (with the exception of something called Rascal Flats - I'm a little removed from the country scene these days). I have to give you credit though, a lot of people didn't realize how important a cowbell could be to a song before "Don't Fear the Reaper." Good call. And I'm glad to see I'm not the only family member who likes Tupac.

July 26, 2006 11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Songs that make me feel 17 again: Anything by the Everly Brothers or Buddy Holly or Peter, Paul, and Mary.

Songs that remind me of college: I Want to Hold Your Hand, Yesterday, and Please, Please Me by the Beatles

Songs that make me feel like a young mother again: Abraham, Martin, and John by Dion (don't ask). For Bobbie (for Baby)--Peter Paul and Mary. John Denver songs (Annie's Song, Leaving on a Jet Plane, and on and on.

Songs that remind me of falling in love with Dad: Beethoven's Violin Concerto, Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor (I think that's what it's called), Puccini's "La Boheme" (all because we took a music appreciation course together in college!) plus My Cup Runneth over with Love ---so many more, too many to name.

Songs that remind me of my dad: Gesu Bambino, The Lord's Prayer, Comfort Ye, my People from the Messiah, and Blood on the Saddle!

I could go on and on. I'll save space for other people though and quit!

July 26, 2006 11:07 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

July 27, 2006 11:40 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Minnehaha, I think you actually introduced me to Sade when you made me that Love CD. I mix Sade and Annie Lennox up too!

I always find myself having to explain why I have a love CD from my sister-in-law. I just say we have a really close family! :) It's in my itunes under album name "J***'s Love Songs."

Eric, please say you saw my SNL humor in the cowbell song. Will Ferrell skit?

July 27, 2006 11:43 AM  
Blogger Allee said...

Hey - it is your country lovin' sister here. . .

If you have that Rascal Flatts cd, song number 1 (I think it is called "Where you are") is great to listen to loudly in the car. Roo requests it all the time (she calls it the 'Ben and Jeremy song' - Maybe we can get B. to comment on this blog about it for you!) and she always wants it - "LOUDER!"

July 27, 2006 1:18 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Yes, I'm your brother, not your father. I DO still watch SNL. In fact, my favorite writer (espn.com's The Sports Guy) has a web-page called "More Cowbell," in honor of that skit.

July 27, 2006 10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home