That's Funny!

Disclaimer: Author can not guarantee that all post on this blog will be funny or make you laugh.

Monday, September 18, 2006

Metaphorically Speaking...

I just got rid of the car I bought three years ago. Someone who knows quite a bit about cars talked me into getting a Saab. I was pretty happy about that Saab for a while--Smooth ride, looked cool, and it had potential to take me places I had never been. For a car, it had some personality and in the beginning it seemed to suit me well.

But, as anyone knows, those foreign cars can be more trouble than they're worth. In the beginning, the Saab made me smile and in the end, the Saab made me sob. Even with all the bells and whistles of that car...in time, it caused me a lot of agony. If it wasn't the tire going flat, it was the brakes squeeking, or the air conditioning going out, or the battery dying. Towards the end, it seemed as though it was in the shop all the time. And every time it came out of the shop from repairing one problem, it was back in again for something else. I was constantly trying to "fix" it. To the point that I became skeptical that the mechanics were rigging something to fail so they could cheat me out of more money and cause me more frustration. It wasn't even two weeks after I got the squeeking brakes fixed, that they started to squeek again. Several times I even knew something was wrong with the car, but just chose to ignore it because I didn't want to deal with it. I was in denial.

Even though deep down I knew it all along, it wasn't until recently that I could full heartedly admit that the car is just a piece of shit. I never gave that Saab a name, but if I were to name it today, I would've called it some variation of a four letter word. I curse the name of the person who talked me into getting that car in the first place. In hindsight, I should've junked the thing long ago. The time and energy I spent on that car far exceeded the attention it was worthy of receiving. But, I finally freed myself of it. I sold it to someone who probably doesn't know what she's gotten herself into. When she asked me why I was selling, I wanted to tell her it was because the maintenance on it was too much hassle for what I was really getting out of it. But the answer I gave her was still very much the truth. "I want to get something bigger. This car is too small for what I need."

I sincerely hope the new owner doesn't have the same problems with the car that I did. But, she decided to buy it and now it's her problem, not mine. I'm just glad she's the one driving it until it dies-Not me.

16 Comments:

Blogger Mamadala said...

I'm glad you got rid of it, too. You deserve something much better.

September 20, 2006 7:54 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

I always liked Saabs, too. But your experience may have convinced me not to get one someday.

It's good to see the family tradition of bad luck with cars is alive and well!

September 20, 2006 9:02 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

Better hope that buyer doesn't read blogs.

So what did you get? You said bigger, right? I'm going to guess Jeep, not Buick.

September 20, 2006 9:07 AM  
Blogger Allee said...

Beautiful. . . absolutely beautiful. I couldn't have said it better myself. He didn't deserve you. OOPS. I mean that car didn't deserve you.

September 20, 2006 9:26 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

ooooohhhh, it's a metaphor. I really gotta start reading titles. So now I'm confused. Did you actually get a new car too?

September 20, 2006 9:33 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Thanks Minnehaha...I was just about to respond and say, "I don't think Eric and Minnehaha get it."

I really did rid of the car, coincidentally at the same time something else went down. I'll have to fill you in...

I'm thinking about a Jeep Liberty. What do you think?

September 20, 2006 9:36 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

See, I knew a Jeep had to have something to do with it. And you just thought I was dumb. Yeah, Jeep Liberties are nice. I like their headlights. Is that a bad reason?

September 20, 2006 9:51 PM  
Blogger Mamadala said...

Eric, I hope you NEVER get this Saab. Besides, you don't get any more new cars - you're stuck with what you got. Good thing you got a good one. :-)

MM, does size REALLY matter? Jeep Liberty sounds good to me. Freedom, power, independence. All good things for Ash.

September 20, 2006 11:41 PM  
Blogger Allee said...

MM - you pick CARS based on their headlights?!? I learn something new about you everyday. Too bad your current CAR doesn't have any.

September 21, 2006 7:59 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Ha, Ha! MM likes boobies!

I was hoping someone would pick up on my jab on "size"--sorry, I couldn't resist.

September 21, 2006 9:32 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

I was worried someone might take me figuratively when I made that comment about headlights. I meant headlights, not headlights. You know the real ones. The headlights. Ahhhhhhh, I'm out.

September 21, 2006 2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I chuckled the whole time I read the blog and the comments. Good thing a guy didn't buy your "car" - that's a whole new set of problems. Sorry to laugh at your pain, Ash.

September 21, 2006 10:25 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

In all honesty, Linds...I really did sell my car (car, car) to a dude. But, for purposes of my metaphor, I had to say it was a chick...otherwise my story would've had a whole different twist at the end!

September 21, 2006 11:40 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Wait . . . I just came back to this and read the comments. And I'm still totally lost. Although my comments do look pretty stupid now, since, if you follow the metaphor, I might have either just confessed to some sort of homosexual crush on your ex-boyfriend or suggested that my marriage is on the rocks.

Just to be clear, I have not been kept abreast (or a-headlight) of your love-life, so I wasn't exactly following the metaphor. You'll have to fill me in.

September 22, 2006 4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always knew there was a better car out there for you. Glad you got rid of it when you did.

September 24, 2006 8:14 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I'm glad I got in on this whole thing late.....so now I know what's going on! LOL

Either way.....a lemon is a lemon. Good Riddins(sp?)

p.s. I have a Jeep Liberty and I love it! I like the headlights too. *wink* no, but really!

September 30, 2006 9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home