That's Funny!

Disclaimer: Author can not guarantee that all post on this blog will be funny or make you laugh.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Who's on First?

My dad and I just had a date to the Twins game. Second game in the playoffs. We've always had a special bond over baseball. Starting in 1987 when we went to the airport to greet the Twins after they had won the American League title on the road (he'll be able to tell you who they beat and in how many games). The airport was filled with fans, so I sat up on his shoulders while Dad pointed out all the players to me. As he did, I shouted out what their numbers were. Kent Hrbek #14! Tom Brunanski #24! Dan Gladden #32! Greg Gagne #7!

Two years later we performed a variation of Abbott and Costello's skit, "Who's on First?" for my 4th grade talent show. Dad, a college theater major, really acted the part, while I, a bit of a "too cool" 10 year-old, was slightly embarassed to be doing a theater skit in front of my entire school. In hindsight, I think it is awesome that we did it though. And hey, what's not cool about a girl doing a baseball schtick with her dad, who owned the bowling alley?

As a fastpitch softball pitcher in high school, I practiced throwing my fastball and change-up to my dad every day after school. He probably chased thousands of balls down our street and never complained of swollen thumbs or a sore back, even if he did have them. And when I had two strikes on a batter in a game, I'd hear my dad in the stands muttering,"change-up, change-up."

So, when I scored some Twins tickets, I figured Dad and I were due for a baseball game together. And even though the Twins lost, we had fun. We got Dome dogs with the works on them and sat up so high we could almost touch the roof of the Dome.

I love baseball, and I think I know it pretty well. But watching it with my dad is like a whole other world and I start to see the game in the detailed way he sees it.

Here are some comments we each made throughout the game...not in conversational order.

Dad: "Ewwww...Cuddyer's got two strikes. He doesn't do well on an 0-2 count."
Me: "I read in the Star Trib that Cuddyer is getting married. Guess his fiance didn't even know what a full count was when they met."

Dad: "Notice how the umps are throwing out a bunch of balls. If there is even a smudge of dirt on there, they throw it out because they don't want ANY questions on if the pitcher is doctoring the ball."
Me: "Boof is a cool name. Maybe we could suggest that Mamadala name one of her twin babies "Boof"?"

Dad: "Mauer's up...he bats around .400 when there are players in scoring position with two outs. This is good."
Me: "Joe Mauer went to the same high school as my friend, Melissa. Cretin."

Dad: "White has struck out three times today. He's looked at the third strike every time!"
Me: "Hey...the pitcher is wearing black socks. Scott Erickson wore black socks like that too."

Dad: "Look how the outfield is playing...they're playing to the right, even though Cuddyer is a right handed batter and the pitcher isn't that fast. There must be a stat that he doesn't drive up the left hand side."
Me: "Did the metrodome get new astroturf? It looks more like real grass than it used to."

Me: "Hey, Jason Bartlett is the same age as me! Only nine days younger. He's kind of cute...wonder if he's single."
Dad: "Did you know Jason Bartlett came up from the minors, but got sent back down for a few months because Gardy wanted him to be more of a leader on the team. Now he's doing great...not as passive as he was before. Punto's a good leader too."

Dad: "Oh! Hunter shouldn't have gone for the catch on that one..there was no one there to back him up! He should've let it drop, let the guy get a single and gone for the out at second. He let his reputation as a spectatcular catcher get in the way of him making the right play."
Me: "Excuse me, miss. Would you mind taking a picture of my dad and me? Can you get the field in the back ground? Thanks so much!"

Dad: "Watch Mauer's batting routine. Every time...left foot in the batter's box...then the right foot...tap the back of home plate with his bat...one full swing...and a couple small ones. That's how he keeps the pitcher in his control so he's not speeding him along."
Me: "Let's go JOE! OW, OW, OW!!! Did you know Joe has a myspace profile? He says he likes to log-on before games and people leave him comments and stuff. Morneau too"

I love baseball...I really do! I love the strategy, I love the fans, I love the tradition. And I learn something new about the game every time I watch with my Dad...

But I'm still such a girl. I'm afraid I haven't changed much from when I was 8 and wanted to grow up to be a baseball player, but still have long hair, JUST so I could hog pile after winning the World Series. I'm still such a girl.
-----------

Oh, and coincidentally, this is my 34th post. Kirby Puckett #34

8 Comments:

Blogger Allee said...

Very cute! I think I am going to go check out those myspace pages.

Yesterday I was watching the game and everyone kept saying what a bad decision Hunter made. I couldn't stand it anymore. I was feeling so sorry for him. I didn't care about the play- I was just worried about his self-esteem. The announcers were really beating him up! I am all about the emotions of the game - not the stats!

Glad you two had a good time - even if you never really had a conversation!

October 05, 2006 8:50 AM  
Blogger Mamadala said...

You guys have me LOL. Allee, that is so like you to be worried about how Hunter might feel about what the announcers were saying.

Going to a game with Dad is an experience not to be missed, though. I've taken to keeping score so I stay in the game when I go. It's too easy to be distracted otherwise, especially with the kids there.

And Ash, I think going to Twins games (even if you are up near the top of the dome) is a great way to look for guys. I'm sure the players hardly ever have girls coming on to them there. ;) At least we'll know they like baseball!

Hmmm... Boof... we are having a mutiny regarding names here, so who knows, maybe this could make the list!

October 05, 2006 9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

White did not strike out 3 times looking yesterday, Castillo did.

October 05, 2006 9:48 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

Ash, don't sell yourself short. Your baseball knowledge is very impressive. And I think Jason Bartlett would be a good catch for you (maybe even Joe Mauer). Definitely look into that. Maybe after the season.

October 05, 2006 10:00 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Thank you, Beau. Exactly my point...

October 05, 2006 10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, this so warms the cockles of my heart (whatever cockles are!) I love that you are both baseball fans. I give anyone who's a baseball fan high marks!
Ash--this just demonstrates how we can enjoy a game on many different levels.

October 05, 2006 8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm laughing because Beau decided that his first post should be a correction. Who invited him? :)

October 05, 2006 10:11 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

It's okay, Linds...at least now I know he's reading!

October 05, 2006 10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home