That's Funny!

Disclaimer: Author can not guarantee that all post on this blog will be funny or make you laugh.

Monday, October 23, 2006

Twenty-Seven Things


On Saturday I turned twenty-seven. Remember a mere six months ago when I was celebrating my 26 1/2 birthday? It's now official...I am in my late twenties! I feel good about 27 though. It's a good number and I think it will be a good year.

Last year, a friend and I went out on a Tuesday night to celebrate our birthdays, since hers is a few days before mine. We were sitting up at the bar at Chino Latino chatting with the bartender, when my friend pulled out two pens and said, "Ash, we're going to make our birthday lists."

"Birthday lists? What are we? Twelve?"

"No, we are each going to make a list of things we need to do or accomplish this year. You'll make a list of 26 things, and I will make a list of 27 things." (she is one year older)

So, we sat sipping wine and writing out our lists of personal development on cocktail napkins. Looking back, I did pretty well checking things off the list. Among some items on my list were:

Take a new aerobics class (belly dancing AND cardio-kickboxing-check!)
Throw a housewarming party (last December-check!)
Go to Washington, DC (went in August-check!)
Run around Lake Calhoun with ease (I ran it all the way around, "with ease" is questionable)
Find a church to go to (Wooddale-check!)
Buy art for my walls (got a mirror, but that's it)
Read more (joined a book club-check!)
Publish at least two writing clips (I'm not sure where I was going with this at the time, but do 35 self-published blog posts count?)
Learn to rotate my rollerblade wheels (reference "handyman" blog post-check!)
Learn to use chopsticks well (I tried-but I'm still pretty hopeless!)
Be more patient with my mom (no comment-this will probably be on my list again)

Okay, so you get the idea. This year I did it again, adding one more item to that list. I'm not going to post my entire list of 27 things "to-do" while I'm 27...some have to remain private, right? But I will share a couple with you. I figure if I actually make some of them public, I'm more likely to get them done!

Drop a ski waterskiing (I've never done this before and want to do it before I get too old!)
Milk a cow
Get a nice new comfy down pillow
Visit one of the following places: wine country, Denver, Arizona, or Vegas
Learn more about finance and investing
Cook one new recipe a month
Print all my digital pictures from the past two years and organize
Use the word "like" less often
Incorporate new words into my vocabulary
Take a different kind of dance class (salsa, line-dancing, hula)
Get back my six-pack (stomach, not beer)
Attempt to read more non-fiction books
Strengthen my queasy stomach and see BodyWorlds at the Science Museum

Give you a little taste? We'll see how I do this year.

7 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

Milk a cow? You go, girl!

October 23, 2006 11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! My list would incorporate all of the things on your list. Isn't that amazing? By the time I list my 62nd item I'll be 63.

October 23, 2006 12:12 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Go to wine country! That's one of the favorite trips we ever took. Take a girlfriend with you, but watch out for Thomas Hadden Church and Paul Giamatti.

Can you organize my digital pictures too?

Happy Birthday BTW!

October 23, 2006 1:12 PM  
Blogger Mamadala said...

OK, if we go on a field trip to a farm, we'll invite you along. Also, I just got the best pillow at Costco a few weeks ago. It's a combination of memory foam and something else. I love this pillow. Come over and feel it and see what you think.

What's your home page? On some of them you can add a "word a day" module so you can learn a new word everytime you get online.

And you should go to BodyWorlds with Touchstone. He hasn't gone yet, and I really want him to, but I don't think I'm up for it again at this point. (I get winded going upstairs or downstairs!) He'll be available in November!

Good list!

October 23, 2006 3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

November 2nd...Missy, Super Sue and I are doing Body World you are more then welcome to join us. Pretty sure Super Sue might not be so super at it so you know company if you faint! :)

October 23, 2006 8:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, if you want to buy some art, for some reasonable prices, try ImageKind.com. They have a lot of stuff you wouldn't normally see for sale online.

October 23, 2006 9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like, I really like your list--and hope you, like, will keep "learn to be more patient with my mom" on this year's list too. You have inspired me to like make a list too. I can get a head start on it like before my birthday.

October 23, 2006 10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home