That's Funny!

Disclaimer: Author can not guarantee that all post on this blog will be funny or make you laugh.

Friday, July 20, 2007

Dumpster Diving

Hello! Remember me? I know it has been a while. It's not that I haven't had anything interesting to write, just haven't taken the time to write about them. But, a couple of interesting things happened to me recently that seemed to fit some old themes of this blog.

First of all, I'd like to give a shout out to my wing man and former blogger, Laura. Hey, Laura! Some of you may remember reading Laura's blog "Braced for Impact" last summer. She, with me, wrote about her single girl tribulations and adventures. Due to lack of content for her blogging theme, Laura stopped blogging last August, about the time she met someone special, who was then referenced as "The Sleeper." Now, just short of a year later, they are engaged!! Yeah! (See Laura, I hate to say it, but I told you so)! Some of you may be wondering how this fits into my title. Rest assured, Laura did not find her now fiance in a dumpster....but she sure found a treasure! Laura, I'm so, so happy for you, but remember that you'll always be my wing man.

Secondly, I'd like to give you a brief update on the progress of my handyman skills. You wouldn't believe how far I've come from the days when I was clumsily trying to use an Allen wrench! But after spending the last several months making weekly trips to Home Depot and most weekend days spent on the BFs house projects, here are just SOME of the things I have learned:

1. There is a special tool made just for opening paint cans and special stuff for removing wallpaper! Who knew?
2. There are like 64 different types of paint finishes (ie. you can't just order one can of blue paint. You have to decide if its eggshell, or matte, or glossy, or whatever).
3. How to use a sander, a power drill, a staple gun, and a paint sprayer.
4. Disposable feather duster work much better than brooms in removing cobwebs from ceilings
5. ALWAYS remember to wash paint brushes when you are finished using them!
6. Kaboom (as seen on TV) works wonders in removing scum and rust from showers
7. How to lay laminant kitchen tiles (and even how to cut the corners around the moldings)!
8. That to keep a good garden, you have to water the plants every day and dead-head them or else they die.
9. That I'm not a very good gardener.
10. I like Menards better than Home Depot.

Now, how does dumpster diving fit into all of this? In the condo building I live in, the dumpsters are in the garage and I walk by them each day to enter the building. Occasionally, I'll see something sitting out there that looks to still be of good value and condition and I wonder why someone is throwing it away. I eyed up a nice black golf bag a few months ago and passed it up only because, well... I don't really golf, don't own clubs, and don't know anyone who needs a new bag. The next day it was gone and I later found out my friend who lives upstairs took it and gave it to her boyfriend. For the past couple of weeks there has been a wooden stand-alone closet sitting by the dumpster. I figured it would be picked-up by someone or would be gone that first week on garbage day. Apparently, the garbage man won't pick it up if it's not actually IN the dumpster, so it has continued to sit there. Today, I noticed it still there. Thoughts going through my head: It's pretty cute. It just has a little wobble and needs a new paint job. Why is someone getting rid of this? Can I really take something from a dumpster? I could sure use some more closet space...

At about 10:30 this morning, after looking at my over-flowing closet in my bedroom, I threw on a baseball cap and went to the garage to haul that closet up to my place. I wanted to go at a time not a lot of people were around and go incognito. I mean, what would people think if they saw one of their neighbors dragging something inside from beside the dumpster?! Using my new skills, I re-nailed a nail that was missing that had given it its wobble, WD-40ed one of the squeaky wheels and took some leftover paint from the accent wall in my room, and an hour later I had this super cute refurbished extra closet for my room! And we all now how I could us more hanging space! It's a literal use of the phrase "One person's junk is another person's treasure!"

Thanks for reading all of my closet related blog entries. I'm really not that obsessed with my closets and don't spend as much time working on closets and rods and racks as this blog might imply. But, when you got a theme, you just gotta go with it, right?

6 Comments:

Blogger Allee said...

I can totally imagine how great you feel right now! (Obviously because you blogged about it!) I love stories like this. You should be very proud. I always think I should do this when I shop around garage sales and see old stuff. I actually did this kind of handy work for Roo's nightstand - too bad it is in the corner and no one sees it!

July 20, 2007 8:06 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

First, tell Laura congratulations!

Second, your new closet fits right in with the whole "reduce, reuse, recycle" ethos of the decade. See how trendy you are!

July 20, 2007 10:34 PM  
Blogger Allee said...

OH - congrats to your wing man! Very exicting for her and the sleeper!

July 21, 2007 1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ash- so proud of your handyman skills! And we agree Menards is better and cheaper, but not as much selection-

I still feel we should be the basis for a new Home Depot commercial...because really if WE can do it anyone can-

PS...in the market for a toliet, vanity sink or blinds? See my new backyard lawn art -the sleeper hasn't made it to the tranfer station yet

And thanks for the shoutout! We love it!

Laura and The Sleeper (who just learned that was his blog identity)!

July 22, 2007 6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow--a big day for you and your wingman! Congratulations to both of you!

I have to say that all your work at BF's house is what gave you the confidence to tackle this dumpster treasure. I'll have to make a trip down to see it soon. It looks pretty neat and I know you feel great for doing it. I used to be that person but have fallen woefully short in recent decades. Keep up the good work.

July 22, 2007 9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just glad that dumpster diving didn't lead to a blog about having had your identity stolen. Phew!

The closet is really cute - I like it. I would have never known it was in the trash a few days ago.

Hey Wingman / Laura and The Sleeper - Yea news! So exciting!

July 24, 2007 4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home