That's Funny!

Disclaimer: Author can not guarantee that all post on this blog will be funny or make you laugh.

Monday, March 12, 2007

Hand-Me-Downs

As the youngest in my family, I grew up getting a lot of hand-me-downs. Whether it was clothes from my cousin or the old make-up my sister left behind when she went to college, there was always something. Sometimes the hand-me-downs kind of stunk, like when I had to play the flute in band, because we already had a flute from when my older sister played and my parents didn't want to buy a new instrument. I really wanted to play the trombone. I quit the flute after 7 months. But sometimes the hand-me-downs weren't so bad, like when I got to drive the Chrysler LeBaron convertible in high school after my mom was through with it. (This was especially good since my older sister was left to drive the rusted out conversion van after my dad got a new car). Hey, it's not my fault the convertible just happened to be the available car at the time!

Hand-me-downs have transferred into my adult life as well. Especially since I am single, and people think that I must not have kitchen supplies. I'm not sure if they think this because I haven't yet had the chance to register for dishes and omelet pans, and skillets, but rest assured, my kitchen is stocked from hand-me-downs as well as new items. And I have three sets of measuring cups to show for it!

My mom is always trying to pawn things off. Not only on me, but on all of her kids. Christmas dishes, knick-knacks, pillows, you name it. And as nice as they might be to have, since I'm not doing a lot of Christmas dinner entertaining in my 750 sq. ft. condo, I don't have much use for Christmas dishes. No more kitchen dishes or appliances for me. Nothing! At least until I get a bigger place, because quite frankly, I just don't have any room. My cupboards and closets are already packed. My aunt's wok is stored away in my coat closet and my placemats are kept under my bed. So, no matter what the item, I have to say "no" because I have NO where to put it!

So, when my brother called the other day to offer me up something he needed to rid of, this should have been my answer, right?

Bro: Hey, how would you like to be the recipient of a couple hundred dollars worth of booze?
Me: Okaaaaay....what do I have to do?
Bro: Nothing. I've got like 25 bottles in my car right now...I'll just drop them off.

Suddenly my kitchen looked a lot more spacious! So, as a result of my brother and sister-in-law having two rebellious teenage sons in their house, I am the recipient of my their hand-me-down booze. I mean, I really only took it to help them out and because I sincerely care about the safety of my nephews.

Do you think that I magically have room for all of these bottles? No. Am I complaining? No. Even though I now have a good excuse for not cooking since I have no counter space to do so, at least I now have a good reason to throw a party. While I did have a small stash of booze to host my book club before, I am now ready to host a fraternity party. So, in order to prevent me from becoming a raging alcoholic, let me tell you here, that my door is always open for a drink. With an inventory of approximately 18 bottles of wine, 20 bottles of hard alcohol, 4 bottles of champagne, and a variety of beer, I should have some thing to wet your palette.

But, better hurry up! I'm not going to wait until I hear you knocking. And if I'm drunk next time you see me, hopefully that means my nephews aren't. I'm just doing it for the kids. Oh, and to free up more kitchen space.

4 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

I truly appreciate the sacrifice you made. A lot of people would not have been willing to take on so much booze . . . for their family. But you did it. That shows a lot of courage.

March 13, 2007 9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to make a comment about my mom offering hand me downs to me, my bro, and anyone else who will take them. Then, you made the comment about the wok. By any chance, would that be my mother's?

The car hand me downs went beyond your immediate family. I got a Honda 2 dr hatchback that was used by your grandma, then your sister, then me. I would have gladly passed it along to someone else in the fam but someone rearended me at 40 mph. Maybe someone else got into Eric's alcohol...

March 13, 2007 11:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So when we find you walking the streets with dishelved hair, wearing a threadbare coat, and pushing a grocery cart with all your earthly goods, we'll know you finally ran out of the booze.

I like the idea of the fraternity party--that'll clear your counters off quickly!

Sorry about the hand me downs, but, honestly, what's a girl to do when she's been married nearly 42 years and wants new "stuff?" Isn't that what kids are for?

Gotta go. I'm off to shop for new measuring cups.

March 14, 2007 1:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Mom, that "new stuff" you want isn't any kind of a reference to me, is it? It may seem like 42 years but it's only 41 and two thirds.

Ash..since Mom never had ANY alcohol until she was 45 I'm beginning to wonder if any of you are REALLY Mom's children.

March 14, 2007 10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home